WiC_group_Facilitators
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Child Psychologist has reccomended that the parent stops giving consequences

Go down

Child Psychologist has reccomended that the parent stops giving consequences Empty Child Psychologist has reccomended that the parent stops giving consequences

Post by PatDart Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 am

Hi everyone

there's been a bit of a repeating theme in our area where a couple of child psychologists are telling our parents to not implement consequences because it's developing a culture of negativity in the home. The parents, when they stop implementing consequences don't know what to do because the child's behavior does not change. The children are quite comfortable with things like not going to school, playing games all day, doing what they want when they want and not complying with any of the parents expectations.

I believe the psychologists in our area are giving bad advice but I can't be sure. I haven't completed the extensive studies and training it takes to become a child psychologist. Parents are following the advice their child psychologist has given them and I've tried to support it by teaching the parents activities that would help them build positive relationships/attachment with their children. The parents are having a good go at it but this practice does not appear to be leading to positive change. The parents feel disempowered as they feel like they're not allowed to implement consequences and the children are in total control.

any advice?

PatDart

Back to top Go down

Child Psychologist has reccomended that the parent stops giving consequences Empty Re: Child Psychologist has reccomended that the parent stops giving consequences

Post by PatDart Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:26 pm

bump

PatDart

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum